Ramblings of a Rubber Mouse

Wednesday, July 30, 2008

¡A escribir!

Well, I keep meaning to update on Sundays, and I keep getting side-tracked. So, since I remembered to do it now, and I doubt I'll get to it unless I write something right now, I'm going to write right now.

Sooo.... What's going on? Not much. I've discovered two serieses (is that the correct plural?) that I like. One is the Kingmaker, Kingbreaker series. It's two books, I'm almost done with the first book. What I like the most is that the prophesied hero is a fisherman who actually talks and feels like a low-class bumpkin fisherman. Most fantasy novels with prophesied heroes who start out on the farm or whatever still sound and feel exactly like all of the soldiers/nobles/inkeepers/whatevers around them. Not in this one. The protagonist speaks with a very low register (at first) and talks just like you would expect a stubborn, rough-around-the-edges fisherman surrounded by people far above his station would. Other than that, it doesn't really break much new ground. It's different from most fantasy I've read, but I don't read as much as I used to or would like to. Still, I find it enjoyable and well-written.
The other series is The Dresden Files. I'd heard of it a while ago but never gotten around to it until now. I must say that it is VERY entertaining, especially if you love looking for cultural references. It's on book nine, I believe, now. I love the character development. Over a single book it's more subtle, but over the whole series (especially considering there might be as much as a year fast-forward between books) there's been quite a bit, and it's been pretty beliveable. Take one book ata time and it's a quick, light, easy read. Take them as a whole and a deep, long-reaching story arc appears. I like that.

*phew.* Okay, hopefully that kick-start will help me to be more consistent.

P.S. Expect my comments on the movie mentioned in the previous post in my next post.

Until later.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home