Ramblings of a Rubber Mouse

Friday, February 10, 2006

Me duele la cabeza.

Well, at least my head was hurting. I took a long nap, and now I can't sleep. So, I'll do something I've kinda been meaning to do for a while: Put up my top 10 favorite movies!

Now, I have a lot of favorite movies, but this really took some thinking on my part, and I also had to move some around, becuase I've always said that X movie is in Xth place, but I decided that I had to be sincere with myself and give movies their rightful ranking, and nostolgia couldn't count as a major factor. A minor factor, yes, but not a major one. Also, since I'm compiling this list from memory and I can't remember every movie I've ever seen, I reserve the right to change this list without notice. So, without further adieu...



10. It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, Mad World
This is one of the greatest comedies of all time. It isn't so much of a belly "ha ha" laugh, but it is very consistent in it's pacing. It has various different types of humor, a classic all-star cast, and lots of interesting cameos. Again, I have to mention the pacing. It starts off ever so slowly and keeps picking up speed, all the way to the climax, yet never feels rushed. And when it finally slows down at the end, it doesn't feel like it was artificiallly brought to a stop. I personally am not gifted enough to fully expound upon the genious of this movie.

9. The collected works of the Marx Brothers.
Okay, so these aren't a single movie, but you have to admit that the Marx Brothers are easily one of the greatest, (if not the greatest,) comedy teams of all history. They've got puns, they've got wacky situations, they've got insult humor, they've even got musical interludes, for crying out loud! How can you not like them?

8. Monty Python and the Holy Grail
If you've seen this movie, you know why it's here. I you havn't seen it (shame on you!) I can't explain it to you, because if I did, I would end up quoting half of the movie.

7. Gattaca
I'm not really sure what to say about this movie. I really like this movie, but I can't quite put my finger on why. I mean, it has one of the most beautiful soundtracks I've ever heard; great acting; great directing; great emotional impact; and lots more. But... I dunno. There are other movies with the same, but I'm not sure why Gattaca stands out so much to me. It just does.

6. Life is Beautiful
So is this movie. It's another great movie that has it all: Comedy, drama, romance and a bitter-sweet ending. Not to mention beautiful music.

5. Casablanca
What can I say? This is a true classic. And I think I've said it before in this blog, I'm normally the kind of guy who is rather wary of movies and books that get called "classics." But this movie is VERY deserving of the title. It's got humor, suspense, action, romance, and more. And it wraps it all in a great story that's told very well. After I finally saw it, I no longer wondered why people thought it was so great. I wondered why the heck it took me so long to get around to watching it.

4. Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon
Beautiful film. Just beautiful. Great fighting that isn't gratuitous; wonderful acting; beautiful music... It's just hard to praise this movie enough.

3. The Fugitive
For me, one of the most important aspects of a great movie is the ability to watch it again without being bored the second time. "The Fugitive" easily takes number three on my list because no matter how many times I watch this movie, it's just as good as the first time. I have never tired of this movie. When I first saw the sequel, "U.S. Marshals" I actually thought it was a better movie. The I watched it again and was bored. By that time I had already seen "The Fugitive" at least ten times and was still loving it each time. I could go on for all the reasons why, but for me, the fact that I don't get tired of the movie says it all.

2. The Incredibles
Let me say this right now: Brad Bird is a freeking genious. When I first saw "The Incredibles" and the credits started rolling, I wanted to shout, it was so good. I settled for clapping my hands for longer than anyone else, but I really wanted to shout: "THAT WAS FREEKIN' AWESOME! WOOOOO!" (Or something to that effect, at least.) Even more than Casablanca this movie had it all: Non-gratuitous fight scenes; humor; family values; suspense; emotional impact; twists and surprises; flawless voice acting; beautiful animation; great charicature... the list could go on and seem endless. Like I said with "Crouching Tiger": It's just plain hard, if not impossible, to praise this movie enough.

1. UHF
Greatest freeking movie in all of existance.
Okay, I'll be honest: This movie beats out "The Incredibles" because of the nostolgia factor. I mean: It's by "Wierd Al" for cryin' out loud. I mean, it really is the funniest movie ever made, but on it's own that's not enough to put it at number 1. For that you need the fact that this is "Wierd Al's" movie.


Well, there you go. Feel free to post (intelligent) comments as to what you think.

1 Comments:

  • I just think it's awesome that someone else has also seen "It's a Mad Mad Mad Mad World" and also ranks it as their favorite. I'll challenge you to a quoting contest any day of the week--and don't get me started on America's "infantile preoccupation with bosoms!" ;)

    By Blogger The Writer, at 5:35 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home