Ramblings of a Rubber Mouse

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Tutti siamo bambini

I need to clarify something after my last post, now that I've had some time to cool down.

Though you might not know it to read my posts, I am a mostly optimistic person. I just... well, I'm also a realist. This is a bit strange, I know, but I attribute it to my faith. Things are bad, and they're gonna get worse, but it'll be all right in the end.

Anyway, though most everything I posted just before is true, I also want to say that despite all that is wrong with society and the world, I wouldn't trade it for a thing. Sure, there is hardship and trials, but those are really what make life worth living. You see, that's another reason why I am against the search of hedonistic pleasure. Sure, it can be nice, but in the end, you're just deadening yourself to true pleasure and joy. If you go through hardships, and practice self-control, your joys and pleasures are all the sweeter. Just like how candy is sweeter after eating something bitter, so are pleasures after self-control.

Anyway... I'd just like to quote the words of William Henry Hudson when he said: "When I hear people say they have not found the world and life so agreeable or interesting as to be in love with it, or that they look with equanimity to its end, I am apt to think they have never been properly alive nor seen with clear vision the world they think so meanly of, or anything in it - not a blade of grass.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home